March 14, 2007

Part of me is surprised that none of the Japanese bands I know and have played with are at SXSW this year, but frankly, it's a small part.

I'm always curious to see what Japanese bands get attention in America. By and large, they tend not to have the same popularity in Japan. I think that Envy is the only band of their social circle and genre that has reached a somewhat proportional level of popularity in the States. This is thanks in part to Steve Aoki, but Steve's also introduced some other incredible Japanese bands into the American scene without as much success. (Full disclosure: Although, I did play bass in a band with the guitarist from There Is A Light That Never Goes Out/Z, I was a There Is A Light fan long before.)

No comments:

About

A web designer/developer by trade, Brian lived in Japan for 5 years and likes to think he knows something about that. He's most recently into talking about design, culture, typography, and web technology.

Archives

Tags